Number of motor vehicles
This number refers to motor vehicles that are available for private use by the usual residents of private dwellings. These vehicles must be mechanically operational but not necessarily licensed or with a current warrant of fitness.
Motor vehicles include:
- business vehicles available for private use by people in the dwelling
- cars, four-wheel drive vehicles, station wagons, trucks, vans, and other vehicles used on public roads
- hired or long-term leased vehicles
- vehicles temporarily under repair.
They do not include:
- farm vehicles not licensed for road use
- motorbikes or scooters
- vehicles used only for business
- vehicles that belong to visitors
- vehicles occasionally borrowed from another household.