Several census questions invite multiple responses, and each response is counted individually in tables presenting total responses. The sum of responses will be greater than the usual subject population for that variable, because people may be counted more than once.
Output on the basis of total responses applies to:
- access to telecommunication systems
- ethnic group
- fuel type used to heat dwellings
- job search methods
- language spoken
- main types of heating used
- religious affiliation
- sources of extended family income
- sources of family income
- sources of household income
- sources of personal income
- unpaid activities.
Some multiple responses are also reported as a combination of response categories; see ‘Single and combination’ in this group.